Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) Course
Concealed Handgun Permit course was created for you as the perfect opportunity to lay a solid foundation for safe shooting and moving forward in your training. This dynamic pistol instruction course will give you everything you need and nothing you don’t to carry in Colorado, PLUS thirty-four additional states!
Concealed Handgun Permit makes getting started easy in a comfortable, safe environment. We have helped thousands of people progress from never shooting a gun before to becoming confident, skilled shooters. CGC wants you to be prepared, feel safe and comfortable to carry locally and when you travel.
CHP is divided into classroom and range-based orientation to build your training foundation. This is a lecture and hands-on course that requires 50 rounds live-fire ammo.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Comfortable Learning Environment
- Classroom and range instruction take the stress out of wondering if you’re capable.
- Developing confidence and skills will become your primary building blocks.
- Customized Education & Tools
- All necessary skills and tools are provided for you to learn to carry and be safe.
- Expert hands-on instruction so you develop confidence and knowledge.
- We Stand Beside You
- Learning these skills is an investment in your future, and you want to know it’s with trusted partners.
- That’s why we provide you only the best professional education.
If you’re unsure about any part of the training, we won’t move on until you’re comfortable. We want you to be successful!
The program provides you with comprehensive training by a certified instructor that includes:
- shooting basics
- defensive handgun selection
- discuss malfunctions
- escalation of force
- relevant laws
Once the classroom portion is completed, we will practice with live-fire range time. Our guides will take you through the basics, so please don’t worry if you have limited experience with handguns. Your understanding of each subject throughout the class is the most important component. We value questions, and you won’t leave class feeling confused or unsure.
Once you have a permit issued by the county sheriff, you will be certified to carry a concealed firearm safely and legally.
If you need to learn how to protect yourself and your loved ones, this is a class you can’t afford to miss!
How Does CCW Reciprocity Work?
Reciprocity means your concealed carry permit or license is valid beyond just your issuing state; the rights between states are reciprocated. You must follow the laws of the state in which you are carrying, however, which may be different from your issuing state.
What Is Concealed Carry Reciprocity?
Concealed carry reciprocity, although complicated in practice, is a relatively simple term. Reciprocity means your concealed carry permit or license is valid beyond just your issuing state; the rights between states are reciprocated. You must follow the laws of the state in which you are carrying, however, which may be different from your issuing state. For example, if you have a Colorado Permit, we have reciprocity agreements with 33 states. Basically, where your permit is legally recognized is sufficient for you to carry. If reciprocity does not exist, you may not have the legal right to carry in other states with just your single permit.
- Signed Participant Agreement (available online)
- Firearm familiarity (recommended)
- Prior shooting experience (recommended)
- Age 21+
WHAT TO BRING/WHAT IS PROVIDED
WHAT TO BRING
- Revolver or pistol* (in calibers .22 – 45 ACP)
- 50 rounds of ammunition
- Closed-toe shoes
- *Available for Rental from CGC
PROVIDED BY INSTRUCTOR
- Concealed Handgun Permit handouts and paperwork
- Eye & ear protection
- Certificate of completion (to present to your county sheriff)
Q. I already have my permit but didn’t get much from the class I took from another instructor, should I take the Concealed Handgun Permit class?
Unfortunately, we’ve heard that too often. There are too many instructors that just take your cash and sign the form. We believe that this does a tremendous disservice to the gun community. We’ve had many compliments from folks that are glad they decided to took our CHP class, even though they already had a permit.
Q. I don’t own a gun, should I purchase one before the class?
Although you may wish to buy one before the class, we spend a good portion of instructional time on considerations to make before buying a self-defense handgun. As a result, you might wish to complete the course and purchase a gun and holster after the class. You also have the option of choosing a gun from our rental program to use for the shooting portion of the class. Please visit Centennial Gun Club or call (303) 789-2582 (Club) for more information.
Q. What are the requirements for obtaining a Concealed Handgun Permit in Colorado and the additional 34 other states?
In Colorado, the County Sheriffs are responsible for issuing permits. It is best to visit your County Sheriff’s website for specific details. Essentially, the requirements are that you must be a resident of Colorado, age 21 or older, and not ineligible to possess a firearm following Colorado or federal law. There are more specifics around alcohol and substance abuse, restraining orders, etc. You must also demonstrate competency with a handgun. Completion of our course satisfies this requirement.
Q. What is the cost for a Concealed Handgun Permit?
A resident needs to apply through their home county, to apply for a permit in Colorado. The fees are set by the individual county sheriff, and cannot exceed $152.50 (most counties are charging the full amount, but Jefferson County is only charging $125). For more information about obtaining a concealed handgun permit go to your county sheriff’s website.
IMPORTANT INFO & STATES WITH RECIPROCITY
Firearms must be kept in a case until instructed otherwise. Please check all ammo with the instructor upon entering the classroom.
The Concealed Handgun Permit course meets the training requirements for you to apply for Colorado concealed carry permit.
*Your CHP is honored in the following states:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
COURSE CANCELLATION/CHANGE POLICY
- Attendee substitutions may be made at any time.
- Registrants must cancel at least 72 hours before the course date to receive a full refund minus a $15 administrative fee.
- Cancellations received within 48 hours of the course date will not receive a cash refund. Instead, a one-time class rescheduling can be made. A rescheduled course must occur within 12-months from the original course date. All course fees are forfeited by the registrant if a replacement course has not been attended within the 12-month period.
- Failure to attend the course, or cancellations less than 48 hours in advance, will result in no refund, credit of the course fee, or rescheduling.
- The Centennial Gun Club reserves the right to cancel or reschedule classes at any time. If we cancel or reschedule a class due to weather or circumstances beyond our control, you are entitled to a full refund. Centennial Gun Club is not responsible for travel arrangements, travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you as a result of such cancellation. If Centennial Gun Club cancels a class in which you are enrolled, you will be contacted at the email address you used to register. Please be sure to provide a valid email address and check your email before class.