Defensive Shotgun Level I
Course Number: DS001
Course Length: 4 hours
|Defensive Shotgun Level I|
This course teaches shotgun with a defensive mindset. The shotgun is an excellent tool for home defense. The course includes a demonstration of various shot shells fired at drywall barriers, simulating the interior of a home, to determine wall penetration of various shotgun loads. Students will understand the wide range of ammunition available for the shotgun and which are best for their particular use. We cover basics such as stance, grip, sight picture, trigger pull and follow through with emphasis on recoil management and addressing multiple targets. Range time included in the class includes addressing multiple targets, moving targets and additional challenging drills.
This course also includes patterning your shotgun with birdshot, buckshot and slugs at various ranges to understand the spread of projectiles at different distances. Use of the shotgun for home defense includes a discussion of accessories for the defensive shotgun, the use of a sling, close quarters carry techniques and range drills addressing multiple targets.
The course is a prerequisite to Defensive Shotgun Level II.
Objective 1: Understand Defensive Shotgun basics including equipment, ammunition and firearm basics
Objective 2: Provide and understanding of the many types of ammunition available for the shotgun, their uses and selection of appropriate ammunition for your application.
Objective 3: Gain an understanding of slings, ready carry techniques and close quarters combat with a long gun.
Objective 4: Discuss and understand shotgun loading and keeping the gun running with multiple targets.
Objective 5: Understand how to manage shotgun recoil and quickly recover the sights to address multiple targets.
Instructor (s): Steve Brownell
Steve has over 30 years of professional firearms training and teaching experience. While with the F.B.I. he received numerous commendations and letters of excellence from the F.B.I. Director. He is certified in pistol, AR-15 Rifle, MP-5 Rifle, and Shotgun. Steve is also experienced in dignitary protection and served as Director of Security for the Denver Big Air World Cup Snowboarding event and Sportaccord with the International Olympic Committee.
Firearms Training Experience:
Degrees from Indiana University in Criminology and Forensic Studies
Twenty years Law Enforcement experience both State and Federal
Ten years F.B.I. Special Agent Atlanta, Georgia Division
Member F.B.I. S.W.A.T. team Atlanta, Georgia
F.B.I. Firearms Instructor, Tactical Pistol, Tactical Rifle, Tactical Shotgun
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
Materials Provided by Students:
Shotgun, 25 rounds #4 Birdshot, 50 rounds 00 Buckshot, 10 rounds Slugs (No Steel Shot)
Materials Provided by Instructor:
Course Packet, Certificate of Completion, Demonstration Firearms and Equipment.
- Substitutions of attendee may be made at any time.
- Attendees must cancel at least 72 hours prior to the course date to receive a full refund less a $15 administrative fee.
- For cancellations received within 48 hours of the course date no cash refunds will be provided. Instead, a one-time class rescheduling can be made. A rescheduled course must occur within 12 months from original course date. If a course has not been attended within the 12 month period all course fees are forfeited by the participant.
- Failure to attend the course or cancellations less than 48 hours notification will result in no refund or credit of the course fee or rescheduling.
- Centennial Gun Club reserves the right to cancel or reschedule seminars at any time. IF we cancel or reschedule the seminar due to weather or unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, you are entitled to a full refund. Centennial Gun Club is not responsible for travel arrangements, travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you as a result of such cancellation. IF Centennial Gun Club cancels a seminar in which you are enrolled, you will be contacted at the email address you provided when registering, so please be sure to provide a valid email address and check your-email prior to attending class.